Saturday, July 16, 2011

Big Apple Nosh Chef Challenge: Peach & Mint

I hope you've all heard of Big Apple Nosh's 4th Noshgirl Chef Challenge - where three bloggers are given two mystery ingredients to combine into one fabulous dish. It goes up for a vote and the winning chef gets two NYC black and white cookies! This week I'm a contestant, and our mystery ingredients are delightfully summery: peach & mint.

Initially knew I wanted to incorporate something with Italian flair, as I've been immersed in their food lately.
I decided to put together a caprese salad - but replace the tomatoes with peaches! Fresh, juicy California peaches are in season now and I scored them for a great deal at my local market.

As for the mint -- well that was easy. I have a HUGE pot on my back patio filled to the brim :-)

(I forgot to get a photo of mine in daylight, but this ^ one looks exactly the same)

IMG_4985

First, I sliced the peaches and mozzarella, and layered them with large basil leaves on a plate.

IMG_4993
(can you tell I'm not a food photographer? or any kind of photographer? Apparently, I do not understand the rule of thirds)

I topped the peach caprese with a champagne mint vinaigrette, and garnished with a few mint sprigs.

Champagne Mint Vinaigrette

3 tbls champagne vinegar
1/3 c olive oil
1/2 c mint leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Pulse vinegar, mint and salt/pepper in a blender or food processor. Then blend while slowly adding olive oil in a stream until full incorporated.

IMG_4990

drizzle onto caprese

IMG_4999

Be amazed at the beautiful colors.

Then dive in!

IMG_5001

It's not a terribly complicated recipe (that's the best part!) - but it is such a light, refreshing summer lunch. The flavors of the basil, mint, and peach blended beautifully.

My mom and enjoyed it today, and I hope you'll give it a try. :-)

IMG_5002

As for the Noshgirl Chef Challenge - voting should start on Monday, so be sure to check Big Apple Nosh and vote...and may the best chef win!

ETA: Voting is now live on the Noshgirl Chef Challenge #4. Vote here!

11 comments:

Kira said...

This looks delicious! I never would have thought of something like this, but it's so simple!

BigAppleNosh said...

Yum! This looks so refreshing! Thank you for participating in the challenge! :)

Layla said...

Never would have thought of this, but woah - it looks SO GOOD.

Katie said...

Wow! This is so creative! And definitely fresh/awesome for summer!!

chelsea said...

Just added this to my pinterest! Looks amazing.

Murissa said...

Wow this really looks interesting. I like what you did with the dressing too. When I think Peach and Mint I immediately went to iced tea with either vodka or Champagne added. Really a unique take on one of my favourite salads!

The Wanderfull Traveler

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

omg, that looks INCREDIBLE- I'm making it.

steph c said...

So simple but so clever! It looks incredibly light, delicious, and summery.. yum :)

Brandi said...

This looks so good! And congrats on winning!!

Meg @ write meg! said...

That looks so fresh and delicious -- my mouth is watering!

Carolynn Cecilia said...

These same ingredients make a killer cocktail. Champagne, peaches, mint leaves and little peach flavored vodka. It's like a summer godsend.

Post a Comment

 

Latte Love All rights reserved © 2008-2011 | I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley