Monday, February 7, 2011

Lattes and Margaritas: What Girls Are Made Of

ps. Kim just sent over a bunch more pics, so I added a few on the last post if you can find them!

Friday morning we headed for the hills a few miles away to hike at San Elijo Hills.

IMG_0851

I've never hiked here when it's been so clear--so crazy to see the ocean (20 miles away)!

IMG_0857


IMG_0848

I wasn't really planning well when we left. We intended on a leisurely morning hike.
We ended up walking over 5 miles, all very steep inclines, in about 2.5 hours. (lots of breaks)

IMG_0856
is it over yet?

Exhausted, we dragged our selves for some refreshment from In 'N Out!

IMG_0860

IMG_0858


Can you guess from the attire where we spent a leisurely afternoon? Sadly (ha, this is going to sound so snotty), it was a little windy and cool for the perfect day at the beach.

IMG_2975

but the sun was still shining, surfers still surfing, margaritas still in order

IMG_2976

IMG_0865


One of Kim's requests for the visit was to visit coffee shops. A latte lover never turns down those opportunities! Friday night we went to Old California Coffee House (formerly, Mocha Marketplace) Its frequented by undergrads, but has a great setting--eclectic art and thrift store furniture. Outside, two fire pits, live music on the weekends and a huge latte menu keep it busy!

Dessert drinks...my favorite!
Kim tried a Mexican mocha

IMG_2978

and I got caramel butterscotch

IMG_2980

IMG_2982

Saturday morning brought more coffee--at our favorite roasters, Safari
Eric's group of friends has been spending Saturday mornings here for over 8 years!

I convinced Kim to take a pound of beans home (She loved them!) and we headed off to the Island of Coronado for the day.

First stop, Hotel Del
IMG_0868

We walked through the basement shops and checked out the display showing the history of the hotel.

coronado

IMG_0879

IMG_0876

Picked up some sweet souvenirs! (Kim had lots of people to buy for!)

IMG_2985

We ended the day at Miguel's--a great mexican place across the street from Hotel Del, but hidden down a small walkway.

Margaritas and tacos. A great end to a great (long) weekend!

margs at miguels

I love entertaining and was excited to see some new SD sights. Any SD'ers have some suggestions for our next guest? (I'm thinking Point Loma, Mission Beach, Temecula)

5 comments:

steph c said...

Finally going to an In-n-Out Burger is on my bucket list. We don't have them on the east coast (and I don't eat red meat) but it WILL happen one day, regardless!

Tiffany said...

I don't like coffee, but that caramel butterscotch latte might just convince me otherwise!

Sara McCarty said...

What a great weekend! When can I come visit you and do all these fun things?!? Just say the word and I'm there! That hike looks amazing. And I've never had In-N-Out...I feel so Midwest saying that. :)

Katie said...

My boss was just in San Diego for a conference and stayed at the Del for a night. Then I had to call them and cancel a stay for my other boss who was set to fly out the night the big blizzard hit! I always think of Baywatch when I think of the Del. I'd love to visit it for realsies one day!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, those beach pictures make me so jealous! Looks like a wonderful weekend.

Post a Comment

 

Latte Love All rights reserved © 2008-2011 | I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley