Monday, January 19, 2009

Why I am the indecisive bride

Because, literally, I cannot make a decision and stick with it (or be happy with one that can't be changed) for anything! And I've been like this for as long as I can remember. After this weekend, I decided that the very best title for this blog is the The Indecisive Bride.

A long time ago I posted about wedding dresses I was looking at. (yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition...it's been a long day). It's too bad that I haven't blogged about the whole journey of finding my dress, so I'll try to break up this long story into two posts. It's been a [self-imposed] nightmare because i just cannot make up my mind!

So here's the story:

Over Thanksgiving, my aunt and grandma mentioned to me about a seamstress in my area who makes wedding/prom dresses out of her home. They said I should check her out just in case she'd be able to make the dress I was interested in for cheaper than the boutique offered it ($$ was the only reason I hadn't purchased the dress at that point). About a week before Christmas I gave her call and set up a meeting with her. At this point, I was pretty set on a strapless dress by Private Label by G.

It had all the right ingredients.
Show off my shoulders/collar bones.
Fit my teeny chest without looking awkward.
A-line skirt.
Ivory.
No beading, sequins, glitter or lace. NONE! (how not girly is that!)...

Here she is (So not this veil!):


It wasn’t love at first sight. I’m not sure what it was. The look on my face in the other pictures where I am actually looking at the camera is kind of tired, and complacent. Later I tried to remember what I felt like when I had the dress on (like, did have the “moment”?) And as far as I can remember, I don’t think I did.
But I had the support of my family and friends.

Here’s what I learned. Don’t show your family and friends options and let them pick for you. This was my big mistake. Everyone like the strapless dress, including my mom. They commented how it showed off my assets (collarbone), I could wear a pushup bra for support and voila! The decision was made.

I called the seamstress and made an appointment with her to get some pricing information. She said she could make the dress for $500 including alterations (vs. $900 + alterations from the bridal boutique) I was sold, but trying to be cautious (ha. Who am I kidding! I don’t even know what cautious is. Just ask my fiance)
Nonetheless, I flipped through her portfolio, and talked to my friend and BM who had her prom dress made by the same seamstress (she’s been making dresses for 15 years!!) who gave her raving reviews.

Then I took a deep breath, wrote a check, signed a contract and checked "order wedding gown" off my to do list. Sigh of relief!

Is this story over? Course not. Stayed tuned for more :-)



3 comments:

LA said...

Indecisive :) I feel you! Hahaha, it seems I always have an idea, change my mind and go back to the original...
It's hard to make so many decisions!!
<3

Hannah said...

Yeah--- if you had to even ASK if you had a "moment", then NO that's not the dress for you!!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I'm indecisive too... lol, but i think its kinda amusing... it's nice to bounce around ideas too :)
RelentlessBride

Post a Comment

 

Latte Love All rights reserved © 2008-2011 | I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley